Thursday, December 26, 2013

Childhood Christmas Traditions: Jingle Bells, Rooftops, and Blindfolds, Oh My

Shout out to my parents for always making sure the holidays were and are special.  Thank you and I love you.  



Here's a rundown of Christmas morning with my parents.  (Most of this happens to this day-when we can be there.)




Christmas in 6 Phases



Phase 1: Waking Up


"What was that?!?! Jingle bells outside our window!  It must be Santa!"

The one day a year I would wake up before anyone else, I would jump on my little brother Tommy to wake him up, throwing things if I had to.  

But just because we were awake didn't mean anything happened.

Aaaand the parent forced delayed gratification torture begins, much to the delight of said parents.  



Phase 2:  Getting to go upstairs.  Maybe, almost, ok not yet.  



Tommy and I weren't allowed to leave our hallway until mom and dad came to get us, so we made sure they knew we were awake.

With the help of saxophones and clarinets, sometimes drums and Irish tin whistles, we made as much noise as humanly possible.  

"Oh, are the kids up?  Let's bring them some juice, but not let them go upstairs."  "OK!"

After what felt like an eternity, which was probably only a few minutes, our parents finally came down to get us.


Phase 3:  Going Upstairs.


You thought I'd just say "we went upstairs" but you are oh-so wrong.  

Much to our delight, our parents would appear ...with blindfolds.  

Blindfolds.  Because simply having us walk upstairs wouldn't be entertaining enough.  

My mom would take Tommy, and my dad would take me.  My mom carefully guiding my brother through the house and up the stairs, and my dad running me into every wall and door he could find.  That's what I get for being the oldest.  


Phase 4:  Stockings.


The house has what you could call a family room and a living room with an open doorway in between.  

The tree was in the living room and the stockings were in the family room.  

A temporary curtain separating the rooms was put up so we couldn't see the tree until they wanted us to.  If we had to use the restroom, we were re-blindfolded and brought down the hallway, often being "accidentally" bumped into the kitchen island.    

My mom would make an awesome breakfast and we'd get to eat that while opening the awesomeness that was in our stockings.  We'd have more juice (coffee as we got older), and just as things started to calm down, it would be tree time.  

I forgot to say that we would be watching the fireplace channel on TV even though we had a wood burning stove going in the same room.  



Phase 5:  The Tree.


With blindfolds back on, we would be lead out to the living room and made to stand right in front of the tree for the grand reveal.  

And boy was it grand.  

Throughout the year, we wouldn't get toys or stuff just because.  We waited for birthdays and holidays for treats like that, which made us be good aaaallll yeeeaaar.  

The blindfolds would come off for the last time as we oohed and aahed.  

We took turns opening presents like good little children, thanked Santa for each one, and periodically wandered to the kitchen where oodles of treats were laid out.  

I almost forgot!



Phase 6:  The One Santa Dropped.  


Once all the presents were opened, and things were calming down, someone would wander to the window and say "Hey!  I think I see something!"

We acted surprised as we went to the backyard so see that Santa dropped two somethings out of his sleigh.   

As we got older, it became harder and harder to retrieve these dropped gifts.  

They've been stuck in trees, and one year Tommy's was on the roof.  

We'd bring them back inside, open them, and then leave the wrapping paper all over as we passed out on the floor.  




Christmas (like all holidays) was so much fun
 because of my mom and dad.  
Sure they had a little fun with holiday "torture", 
but we loved every minute of it.  


Merry Christmas Mommy and Daddy!  

Thank you for all of the amazing memories.  
I love you!











2 comments: